The International League of Conservation Photographers (iLCP) is seeking a new Executive Director to manage and expand the organization in iLCP’s Washington, DC office. iLCP tells stories that change the world and we are looking for a visionary leader with dreams as big as the photographers to be the face of our organization. The ideal candidate should have executive level experience in nonprofit management and development. The ideal candidate also should have experience in conservation communication, and/or a background working with photographers. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing administration, fundraising, programs, serves as the spokesperson to the outside world and is responsible for creating and implementing the strategic plan of iLCP. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Functions
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Hire, manage, and develop staff to ensure their professional growth and commitment to the organization.
- Lead and expand fundraising and grant writing activities to support both general operating expenses and program operations.
- Promote active participation and engagement by the Board, Fellows, and Affiliates in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Identify, secure and oversee sponsorships for WiLDSPEAK, iLCP’s signature symposium on Conservation, Photography, and Communications.
- Develop and coordinate expeditions with iLCP’s conservation partners.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Ensure compliance with all accounting regulations and financial reporting requirements.
- Create and implement a marketing campaign and Refine and oversee messaging to further the reach and goals of iLCP in all aspects, including image licensing, WiLDSPEAK, expeditions, fundraising, etc.
- Prepare and implement an annual budget that will be approved by the board.
- Balance the budget.
- Prepare monthly board updates and oversee the regular iLCP newsletters to fans, donors, Fellows and Affiliates.
Requirements and Highly Desirable Qualifications
All candidates should have proven leadership, relationship management, and fundraising and development experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Five years senior business or administrative management experience.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to build teams, coach staff, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a collaborative and persuasive communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Proven record of effectively raising funds to support a non-profit, preferably with an environmental and/or conservation program and managing relationships with donors and foundation program officers.
- Knowledge, skills and experience in performing and managing financial planning and budget analysis of non-profits. Proficiency in generally accepted accounting principles and standards.
- Demonstrated skills in collaborating with a Board of Directors and the ability to cultivate new and existing board member relationships.
- Proven ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures and work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people. Proficiency in two or more languages is appreciated.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- An innovative approach to business planning will be very helpful.
- A passionate, diplomatic person with integrity and a positive attitude will thrive
- Demonstrate an overall knowledge of the vision, mission and skill sets inherent in iLCP, i.e. be very familiar with this website and our social media platforms.
- Experience in conference and event management.
Salary & Benefits
We are a small organization that is poised to grow quickly with the right leader. While we are unable to offer the salary that we would like to for this position, we are a flexible, collaborative group who encourage travel and a healthy life/work balance.
We are open to hear your ideas about how things go, and are looking for someone who is as hungry as we are to create change in the world for conservation.
This position is based in Washington DC.
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The International League of Conservation Photographers is an at-will, equal opportunity employer.
Please email the iLCP Executive Director Search Committee at email@example.com. Please put “Executive Director“ and your name in the subject line (e.g. Executive Director – Joe Smith). Please attach a cover letter and complete resume detailing positions held for at least the last ten years in one PDF document.
You will be notified when your application is received and we will begin reviewing applications on April 1, 2017 (no joke!). We will contact you if we wish to talk with you and we ask that you please not contact us unless we have reached out and invited you to move forward with the application process. At that time we will be happy to answer any questions.
For a PDF version of this positing, please CLICK HERE.